Sashimi Grade Japanese Konbu Aged Saba (Kelp Aged Japanese Mackerel) – Frozen 140g
昆布じめ さば 冷凍
Konbu jime Saba also known as Saba fillet aged in Japanese Kelp is an extremely common and popular dish eaten throughout Japan. Saba is mostly caught of the southern coasts of Japan. In the past when cold chain and refrigeration were not commonplace, fishermen and chefs used to wrap fish with kelp to preserve and age fishes such as saba so that they could be kept longer. Little did they know that wrapping kelp around a fatty fish like Saba would further elevate its flavor to the next level.
How does the Saba taste?
Konbu Jime Saba is fatty and extremely delicious, it has a slight sweet umami flavour and natural saltiness from the saba fish itself.
All you need to do is defrost, remove the Kelp and Slice! The kelp on top of the saba is already loose and can be easily removed if preferred before slicing and eating.
Our Saba are all Individual Quick Frozen (IQF) to ensure that ice crystals do not form within the flesh of the fish thus retaining the quality and the texture of the flesh. This procedure is amongst the best of techniques in freezing foods and ensures quality that is unmistakable from its fresh counterpart
- Quantity: Good for 3-4 pax for Sashimi or Sushi
- Texture: Soft and melt in your mouth
- Taste: Sweet, salty and slightly sour
- Colour: Silver one side and translucent white on the other
- Weight: 140g
- Recommended: To be put in a chirashi, lightly seared or to make Sushi.
To Defrost / To Store
- Leave in the fridge for 24 hours OR
- Leave under running water for 30min
- Do Not re-freeze after it has thawed and defrosted.
- Once defrosted, keep refrigerated and consume within 5 days.
*Note: Packaging is subject to supply and demand. Our fish will always be of top grade and quality is controlled by Shiki specialists. Guaranteed Japanese Product 👍
For wholesale inquiries, private dining and other questions, kindly contact us directly at Contact@shiki.sg